A Grain Formerly Known As Rice

Sunday, February 26, 2006

My day at the hospital

Yesterday, I went to work with my mom! If you don't know what my mom does, she works at Mercy hospital. She works in the dialysis unit. That is where people come if they have had kidney failure from diabetes...usually from being non-complient with their diets and stuff. So, she hooks people up to machines that cleans their blood for them. They come in and are on machines for like 2-4 hours. I got up at 3:45 a.m. to be at her work by 5! She let me do a lot of stuff when I got there. I got to string machines and get stuff ready for her first shift of patients. Patients are very demanding... which doesn't make sense. Aren't patients supposed to be patient? One person refused to get dialysis that morning because she would have to get out of bed. One person's wife was freaking out because she didn't want her husband to be cold... which makes sense, but he ended up getting so hot he asked us to turn it down. One person's daughter (and this is all in the first shift of people) asked me to come over. She must have thought I was a nurse (which is sooo cool) because she was telling me how her mom was jittery and had had a bad night of no sleep and to please be gentle. Her mom was afraid that she wouldn't wake up if she went to bed. Pretty much the whole time in the room (which is for 3 hours) she was non-coherent. After the first shift left, we ordered pizza and had lunch. Then I got to help set up for the second shift. One patient came in that really impacted me. This lady was 28 years old. She had cancer all throughout her body and also needed dialysis... this is all at the age of 28!!!! They had just told her this week that she had no more then 2 weeks to live! If she stopped dialysis then she would die peacefully in 2 days, if she continued she would live for no more then 2 weeks and she would be in pain the whole time. I felt so sorry for her because she kept moaning and groaning when she was laying there. Finally, after she saw another patient get off their machine, she got off. I was so worried and couldn't understand why she would cut it short. Mom said that it didn't matter because she didn't have long to live and she was in pain, there was nothing left they could do for her. I couldn't believe how skinny she was, I almost started crying the second she came into the room. Here is this almost anorexic looking girl, tatoo- covered laying there helpless. She wasn't saved which broke my heart even more, but tomorrow if she is still there... which I earnestly pray she is, that Mom will take me down there so I can let her meet my Father... my Jesus!!! Well, that's all I can remember to tell... so ... ME!!!

Verse of the Post: Salvation is of the Lord. Jonah 2:9

6 Comments:

At 8:03 PM, Blogger Alex McGinnis said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 8:06 PM, Blogger Alex McGinnis said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 8:17 PM, Blogger Alex McGinnis said...

This girl is so awsome, I just can't wait to see her.

 
At 8:48 AM, Blogger Brenda said...

Mariah you made me cry. You have definitely picked a hard profession when it comes to life and death. Especially when you know that they are lost.

 
At 12:45 PM, Blogger .... said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 12:47 PM, Blogger .... said...

That would be so cool Mariah if you lead someone too the lord on of one there last day's here on earth!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home